Friday, January 5, 2007

Grady at Wayland Baptist College

I met Grady a couple of times when I was a student at Wayland Baptist College in the mid to late 70's. He was a frequent speaker on campus since he had actually attended the school himself quite some time before. He often told stories of his time at Wayland. I heard him speak a number of times and agree that he had an amazing talent for delivering the gospel in a way that would have you wiping tears of laughter one minute and tears of sorrow the next. What a gift for bringing the truth home.

For some reason I don't remember, I was honored to "hostess" one of his visits to the campus. I was responsible to get him to his speaking engagements on campus. We were having several "celebrity" speakers for a number of events one week. There was a meeting of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes one evening and I was also assigned to pick up the "Dallas Cowboy" who had been brought in to address the athletes. When I arrived at the motel, the football player refused to come to the door. We talked through the door and he informed me he had no intention of speaking at the meeting. As it turned out, Grady was in the room next door. He heard the conversation through the door. When I turned to leave, Grady opened his door and said something like "I don't know what that man's problem is, but if you need a speaker for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, I'd be glad to come speak." And he did. I will never forget that.

We used to get tapes of Grady's talks. I think they were from the Southwestern Theological Seminary in Fort Worth. I wonder if they are still available. I own two of his books, The Gospel According to Norton and Agaperos.

I really mourned at the news of his death. He was taken far too young and far too soon. I was ready for more stories.

Thanks again for this site. It was so good to hear his voice again.

Judy L.
Colorado

No comments: